Monday 29 April 2013

algebra precalculus - What is the plot of $f(x) = 1 + sqrt{log_{10}cos(2pi x)}$



I'm inspecting a function as in the title, and tried to plot it and then compare my result with graphing tools which lead me to confusion.




Is it true that the plot of $f(x) = 1 + \sqrt{\log_{10}\cos(2\pi x)}$ is just a set of points $(x, y) = (n, 1); \; n \in \mathbb Z$




Inspecting the domain one may see that
$$

\log_{10}\cos(2\pi x) \ge 0 \iff \cos(2\pi x) \ge 1
$$



But $\cos x \in [-1, 1]$ therefore $\cos(2\pi x)$ must be equal to $1$ in order to satisfy the above, and that is only possible in $x \in \mathbb Z$.



The reason I'm asking is because neither Desmos nor W|A is plotting it the way i expected.


Answer



You are right: the domain of $f$ is the set $ \mathbb Z$ and the graph of $f$ is given by



$ \{(x,f(x)): x \in \mathbb Z\}=\{(n,1): n \in \mathbb Z\}$.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...