Thursday 18 April 2013

calculus - Calculate $lim_{ntoinfty}(sqrt{n^2+n}-n)$.





Introduction:



An exercise from "Principles of mathematical Analysis, third edition" by Rudin, page 78.







Exercise:



Calculate $\lim_{n\to\infty}(\sqrt{n^2+n}-n)$.






Explanation:



I have a hard time to grasp how to handle limits like this. I don't know how to start and what to look for. I've checked with mathematica and the answer should be $\frac{1}{2}$, and of course i've got the wrong answer. I find limits unintuitive. In the book, they proved "the limits of some sequences which occur frequently". The limits they proved were:




(a) If $p>0$ then $\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n^p}=0$



(b) If $p>0$ then $\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{p}=1$



(c) $\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n}=1$



(d) If $p>0$ and $\alpha$ is real, then $\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{n^\alpha}{(1+p)^n}=0$



(e) If $|x|<1$, then $\lim_{n\to\infty}x^n=0$.




When they proved all of the above theorems it felt like they used the fact that they knew the limits. For example:






Proof of (b): If $p>1$, put $x_n=\sqrt[n]{p}-1$. Then, $x_n>0$ and by the binomial theorem,



$$1+nx_n\leq(1+x_n)^n=p$$



so that $$0


Hence $x_n\to 0$. And so on...






That is, I think they used the fact that the limit were 1 when they did put $x_n=\sqrt[n]{p}-1$. Before I compute a limit do I have to guess one? How can I do that when I don't think this is intuitive? Have you any tips how you do when you shall tackle a problem like this? How do you start when you want to compute a limit?






Solution:




This is how I did it:



$\sqrt{n^2+n}-n=\sqrt{n}\sqrt{n-1}-n=\sqrt{n}(\sqrt{n-1}-\sqrt{n})$.



Since $$(\sqrt{n-1}-\sqrt{n})\to 0\text{ when }n\to\infty.$$



The product approaches $0$. Which is obviously not true. I did realise this after a while. Since one of the factor grows really big while the other gets really small and I guess they tend to take each other out, so it's pretty clear it shouldn't approach 0, but I don't think it's clear that it should approach $\frac{1}{2}$ either. Thanks for your help.


Answer



Hint: multiply and divide for $(\sqrt{n^2+n}+n)$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...