Wednesday 28 August 2013

calculus - Show that $e+pi$ is not integer.



It was suggested Taylor series for that.



$e^1 = \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{k!}$




I don't know how to prove the convergence of this series, so I tried to set the upper limit to 5 (I'm doing all this with a very simple calculator, it's basically by hand). Then $e \approx 2.71$



Since $4\arctan(1)= \pi$



$4\arctan(1)=4 \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^k}{2k+1}$



Again doing a aproximation setting the upper limit to 5, $\pi\approx2.96$ (which I think it's pretty bad, but with my calculator it's the best I could do).



Then $e+\pi \approx 5.67$. But this only proves the approximation that I did is not integer, not the exactly value of $e+\pi$. Is there a way to prove that $e+\pi$ is not integer without relaying on approximations?



Answer



With your approximations and using Interval arithmetics, you just have to show that $5

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...