Tuesday 20 August 2013

real analysis - How to prove that derivatives have the Intermediate Value Property




I'm reading a book which gives this theorem without proof:




If a and b are any two points in an interval on which ƒ is differentiable, then ƒ'
takes on every value between ƒ'(a) and ƒ'(b).




As far as I can say, the theorem means that the fact ƒ' is the derivative of another function ƒ on [a, b] implies that ƒ' is continuous on [a, b].




Is my understanding correct? Is there a name of this theorem that I can use to find a proof of it?


Answer



The result is commonly known as Darboux’s theorem, and the Wikipedia article includes a proof.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...