Sunday 25 August 2013

logarithms - Series for $log 3$

I have the following series:



$$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{3k+1}+\frac{1}{3k+2}-\frac{2}{3k+3}\right)$$



Wolfram says this is just $\log 3$. I have been trying to figure out how this works purely through series manipulation (without integrals etc.).




I've tried splitting it up into several series but nothing seems to fit nicely because the pattern is 3-period. The series I know for $\log$ which tried first was:



$$\log(1+x)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}x^k$$
perhaps with $x=-\frac{2}{3}$, but this introduces powers which don't seem natural to derive from the original expression.



Any help would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...