Monday 12 August 2013

Using definition of limit to prove limit



I am having trouble with this problem:





Use the definition of limit to prove that:
$$\lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{\sin x}{x(\sin x)^2 +1} = \,?$$




I have concluded that the limit must be 0, but I am having trouble proving it.



Using the limit definition, I must show that



$$\left\lvert \frac{\sin x}{x(\sin x)^2 +1}- 0\right\rvert < \epsilon$$


Answer




Clearly we may assume that $x>0$. Consider two cases:




  • if $|\sqrt x\sin x|<1$ then $|\sqrt x\sin x|
  • if $|\sqrt x\sin x|\ge1$ then $|\sqrt x\sin x|\le x\sin^2x


Hence in all cases we have
$$\Bigl|\frac{\sin x}{x\sin^2x+1}\Bigr|<\frac1{\sqrt x}\ ;$$
so given $\varepsilon>0$, taking $x>1/\varepsilon^2$ guarantees that the LHS is less than $\varepsilon$. I'll leave you to turn this into a formal proof.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...