Sunday 18 August 2013

elementary number theory - Prove $ x^n-1=(x-1)(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}+...+x+1)$




So what I am trying to prove is for any real number x and natural number n, prove $$x^n-1=(x-1)(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}+...+x+1)$$



I think that to prove this I should use induction, however I am a bit stuck with how to implement my induction hypothesis. My base case is when $n=2$ we have on the left side of the equation $x^2-1$ and on the right side: $(x-1)(x+1)$ which when distributed is $x^2-1$. So my base case holds.



Now I assume that $x^n-1=(x-1)(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}+...+x+1)$ for some $n$. However, this is where I am stuck. Am I trying to show $x^{n+1}-1=(x-1)(x^n + x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}+...+x+1)$? I am still a novice when it comes to these induction proofs. Thanks


Answer



To conclude your induction proof, just multiply x both sides :



$x^n-1=(x-1)(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}+...+x+1) $




multiply $x$ both sides :



$\begin{align} \\ x^{n+1}-x &=(x-1)(x^n+x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}+...+x^2+x) \\
x^{n+1}-1 -(x-1) &=(x-1)(x^n+x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}+...+x^2+x) \\ x^{n+1}-1 &=(x-1)(x^n+x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}+...+x^2+x)+(x-1) \\ \end{align}$



factor $(x-1)$ and you're done !


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...