Sunday 18 August 2013

limits - Find $lim_{xto0}frac1{x^3}left(left(frac{2+cos x}{3}right)^x-1right)$ without L'Hopital's rule




Find the following limit

$$\lim_{x\to0}\frac1{x^3}\left(\left(\frac{2+\cos x}{3}\right)^x-1\right)$$
without using L'Hopital's rule.




I tried to solve this using fundamental limits such as $\lim_{x\to0}\left(1+x\right)^\frac1x=e,\lim_{x\to0}x^x=1$ and equivalent infinitesimals at $x\to0$ such as $x\sim\sin x,a^x\sim1+x\ln a,(1+x)^a\sim1+ax$. This is what I did so far:
$$\begin{align}\lim_{x\to0}\frac1{x^3}\left(\left(\frac{2+\cos x}{3}\right)^x-1\right)&=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\left(\frac{3-(1-\cos x)}3\right)^x-1}{x^3}\\&=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\left(\frac{3-\frac12x^2}3\right)^x-1}{x^3}\\&=\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\left(1-\frac16x^2\right)^x-1}{x^3}\end{align}$$
I used fact that $x\sim\sin x$ at $x\to0$. After that, I tried to simplify $\left(1-\frac16x^2\right)^x$. Problem is because this is not indeterminate, so I cannot use infinitesimals here. Can this be solved algebraically using fundamental limits, or I need different approach?


Answer



You are certainly on the right track (although you've used an approximation that needs justification). Now write  $(1-x^2/6)^x = \exp (x\ln(1-x^2/6)).$ More approximations: $\ln (1-h) \approx -h$ and $e^h \approx 1 +h $ for $h$ small. What happens if each $\approx$ is an $=$? That will tell you what the limit is. Now you need to make sure these approximations really work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...