Wednesday 25 November 2015

calculus - Calculate $int frac{1}{sqrt{4-x^2}}dx$



Calculate $$\int \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}dx$$



Suppose that I only know regular substitution, not trig.



I tried to get help from an integral calculator, and what they did was:



$$\text{Let u = $\frac{x}{2}$} \to\dfrac{\mathrm{d}u}{\mathrm{d}x}=\dfrac{1}{2}$$




Then the integral became:



$$={\displaystyle\int}\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}\,\mathrm{d}u = \arcsin(u) = \arcsin(\frac{x}{2})$$
And I'm not sure how they accomplished this, where did the 4 go? I understand the arcsin part but not sure how they got rid of the 4? Also how did they know to substitute $\frac{x}{2}$? It doesn't seem very obvious to me.


Answer



$$\int \frac{\text{d}x}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}=\int \frac{2 \ \text{d}u}{\sqrt{4-(2u)^2}}=\int \frac{2 \ \text{d}u}{\sqrt{4(1-u^2)}}=\int \frac{2 \ \text{d}u}{2\sqrt{1-u^2}}=\int \frac{ \text{d}u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} $$



Why especially this substitution: Notice that



$$\int \frac{\text{d}x}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}=\int \frac{\text{d}x}{\sqrt{4\left(1-\frac14x^2\right)}}=\int \frac{\text{d}x}{2\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{x}{2} \right)^2}}$$




so you can see that it is quite nice to substitute $u=\frac{x}{2}$; we get a function $\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}$ and we already know the integral to this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...