Thursday 26 November 2015

calculus - Using nth Term Test to find if $cos(frac{1}{n})$ is divergent




So in this problem I'm required to use the nth term test for:



$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty\cos(\frac{1}{n})$$



I made it into:



$$\lim_{n\to \infty}cos(\frac{1}{n})$$



I think it's going to diverge because cosine oscillates, but I don't know how to prove it with the nth term limit that I have above. Would I just divide by $\frac{cos\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{1}{n}}$? I'm lost.


Answer




Since $$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \cos (\frac{1}{n}) = \cos (0) = 1 \neq 0$$
then the series $$\sum_{n=1}^\infty\cos(\frac{1}{n})$$
will diverge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...