Thursday 26 November 2015

Laurents Series Expansion Complex Analysis



So here is the problem, I am having a lot of trouble with laurents expansions and if you guys even know any sources where I can learn these really well and very simply then that would be a great help. But here is the question I am having trouble with specifically:



Expand



$$ \frac {1} {z(z-1)(z-2)}$$ in a laurent series in the following region: $1< |z|<2$




What I have:



The Laurent expansion after doing all that partial fraction stuff I get the laurent expansion for $$ \frac {1} {(z-1)(z-2)} = - \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{z^n}{2^{n+1}} + \frac{1}{z^{n+1}} \text{}$$ for the region stated above. But how do I incorporate the $1/z$ term in there as well, I have never done this with three terms before :( .I don't know how to get the answer and am starting to get really frustrated.


Answer



$f(z) = {1 \over z (z-1)(z-2) } = {1 \over 2z} - {1 \over z-1} + {1 \over 2(z-2) }$.



For $|z|<2$, we have ${1 \over 2(z-2)} = -{1 \over 4} ({1 \over 1- {z \over 2} } ) = -{1 \over 4} \sum_{k=0}^\infty {1 \over 2^k} z^k$.



For $|z|>1$, we have $-{1 \over z-1} = -{1 \over z} ( {1 \over 1- {1 \over z} } ) = -\sum_{k=0}^\infty {1 \over z^{k+1} } = - \sum_{k=-\infty}^{0} z^{k-1} = - \sum_{k=-\infty}^{-1} z^{k}$.




Hence $f(z) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} f_k z^k $, where
$f_k = \begin{cases}
-1, & k < -1 \\
-{1 \over 2}, & k = -1 \\
-{1 \over 2^{k+2}}, & k > -1
\end{cases} $.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...