Monday 23 November 2015

number theory - Proofs for $0^0 =1$?




Everyone knows the following:
$$0^x = 0 \quad \wedge \quad x^0 = 1 , \quad\forall x \in R^*$$




One morning, I wake up asking myself the question "$\text{What is $0^0$, then?}$".

So, I did what any curious highschool student would do, I tried to figure it out using algebra
$$0^0 = 0^{x-x} = \frac{0^x}{0^x} = \frac{0}{0} = \text{undefined}$$



...and I can't seem to not divide by zero every time I try.



But then, using the concept of limits, I can sort of say what it could be.



$$\lim_{x \to 0} 0^x = 0 \quad\wedge\quad \lim_{x \to 0} x^0 = 1$$




Yeah, that doesn't provide me with much clarity either.
From my perspective there's a 50% chance that it is $1$ and a 50% chance that it's $0$.
$$\text{So, probabilistically it's } ^1/_2 \text{ !??}$$



Almost all calculators that I put it into gives me back Math Error.
But oddly enough Google says otherwise



Thanks to this Numberphile video, I realize that there can't be a proper definition for it.



But many still define it to be $1$ for many more reasons. I wish to understand these reasons. I would like some proofs for this.



Hence, I seek proofs inclined (biased) to saying that $0^0 = 1$




EDIT: I've changed the question slightly to avoid being a duplicate.
Thank you.


Answer



Perhaps the strongest reason why some people insist that $\;0^0=1\;$ is that



$$\text{For}\;\;0

Yet $\;x^x\;$ is undefined for lots of negative values in any neighborhood of zero...


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...