Friday 27 November 2015

integration - Quick question why setting $a=0$ gives an indeterminate solution

$\newcommand{\dx}{\mathrm dx\,}$I’m having lots of trouble figuring this out, so perhaps you guys can help me. For example, let’s take the integral





$$\int\limits_0^{\infty}\dx\frac {\sin x\log x}x=-\frac {\gamma\pi}2$$




Our integral can be computed using differentiation under the integral sign and taking the imaginary part of
$$\mathfrak{I}(s)=-\int\limits_0^{\infty}\dx x^{a-1}e^{-sx}=-s^{-a}\Gamma(a)$$
Set $s=i$ and take the imaginary part to get
$$\operatorname{Im}\mathfrak{I}(i)=\Gamma(a)\sin\frac {\pi a}2$$
But when I differentiate and set $a=0$, then the gamma function becomes undefined because $\Gamma’(0)$ doesn’t produce a determinate form.




I’m not exactly sure what went wrong. Perhaps you can help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...