Wednesday 25 November 2015

trigonometry - Prove that the envelope of the family of lines $(costheta+sintheta)x+(costheta-sintheta)y+2sintheta-costheta-4=0$



Prove that the envelope of the family of lines $(\cos\theta+\sin\theta)x+(\cos\theta-\sin\theta)y+2\sin\theta-\cos\theta-4=0$



I did not know much about how to find envelope of a curve.I read on Wolfram and tried solving but did not get the desired answer.




I partially differentiated $(\cos\theta+\sin\theta)x+(\cos\theta-\sin\theta)y+2\sin\theta-\cos\theta-4=0$ wrt $\theta$,getting



$(\cos\theta-\sin\theta)x-(\cos\theta+\sin\theta)y+2\cos\theta+\sin\theta=0$



then i squared and added them but could not eliminate $\theta $ fully.Is my method correct?



Please help me.


Answer



HINT




I would say, equation and its derivative together add up and subtract $\Rightarrow$ after simplification two equations:



$(2 x+1) \sin(\theta)+(2 y-3) \cos(\theta)=4$ , $\quad (2 x+1) \cos(\theta)-(2 y-3) \sin(\theta)=4$



I am sure that you can take from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...