Thursday 19 November 2015

number theory - Proofs from the BOOK: Bertrand's postulate: $binom{2m+1}{m}leq 2^{2m}$



I have a very hard proof from "Proofs from the BOOK". It's the section about Bertrand's postulate, page 8:



It's about the part, where the author says:



$$\binom{2m+1}{m}\leq 2^{2m}$$
because $\binom{2m+1}{m}=\binom{2m+1}{m+1}$ are the same in $\sum \limits_{k=0}^{2m+1} \binom{2m+1}{k}=2^{2m+1}$




I see, why they are the same, but I don't see the reason to say $\binom{2m+1}{m}\leq 2^{2m}$. Any help would be fine :)


Answer



The sum is essentially $a_1 + a_2 + ... +a_m + a_{m+1} + ... + a_{2m+1} = 2^{2m+1}$, (where $a_k$ is shorthand for $\binom{2m+1}{k}$) since everything is non-negative, we can say $a_m + a_{m+1} \leq a_1 + a_2 + ... +a_m + a_{m+1} + ... + a_{2m+1} = 2^{2m+1}$ and from the equality we know $a_m = a_{m+1}$. Putting it all together:



$a_m + a_{m+1} = 2a_m \leq 2^{2m+1}$ therefore $a_m \leq 2^{2m}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...