Friday 13 December 2019

Are there any bases which represent all rationals in a finite number of digits?



In base 10, 1/3 cannot be represented in a finite number of digits. Examples exist in many other bases (notably base 2, as it's relevant to computing). I'm wondering: does there exist any base in which every rational number can be represented in a finite number of digits? My intuition is that the answer is no. If so, what is a proof of this?


Answer




Your intuition is correct for instance for all $b > 2$, $\frac{1}{b-1}$ is not going to have a finite representation, and will have the representation
$\frac{1}{b-1} = 0.1111111...._b.$ Eg, $\frac{1}{9} = .11111111$ in base 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...