Wednesday 25 December 2019

linear algebra - Matrix with zeros on diagonal and ones in other places is invertible



Hi guys I am working with this and I am trying to prove to myself that n by n matrices of the type zero on the diagonal and 1 everywhere else are invertible.



I ran some cases and looked at the determinant and came to the conclusion that we can easily find the determinant by using the following $\det(A)=(-1)^{n+1}(n-1)$. To prove this I do induction




n=2 we have the $A=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1\\
1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}$ $\det(A)=-1$ and my formula gives me the same thing (-1)(2-1)=-1



Now assume if for $n \times n$ and $\det(A)=(-1)^{n+1}(n-1)$



Now to show for a matrix B of size $n+1 \times n+1$. I am not sure I was thinking to take the determinant of the $n \times n$ minors but I am maybe someone can help me. Also is there an easier way to see this is invertible other than the determinant? I am curious.


Answer




This is easy to calculate by row reduction:



Add all rows to first:
$$\det(A) =\det \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 & 1 &...&1 \\
1 & 0 & 1 &...&1 \\
1 & 1 & 0 &...&1 \\
... & ... & ... &...&... \\
1 & 1 & 1 &...&0 \\
\end{bmatrix}=\det \begin{bmatrix}

n-1 & n-1 & n-1 &...&n-1 \\
1 & 0 & 1 &...&1 \\
1 & 1 & 0 &...&1 \\
... & ... & ... &...&... \\
1 & 1 & 1 &...&0 \\
\end{bmatrix} \\
=(n-1)\det \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1 &...&1 \\
1 & 0 & 1 &...&1 \\
1 & 1 & 0 &...&1 \\

... & ... & ... &...&... \\
1 & 1 & 1 &...&0 \\
\end{bmatrix}=(n-1)\det \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1 &...&1 \\
0 & -1 & 0 &...&0 \\
0 & 0 & -1 &...&0 \\
... & ... & ... &...&... \\
0 & 0 & 0 &...&-1 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$




where in the last row operation I subtracted the first row from each other row.



This shows
$$\det(A)=(n-1)(-1)^{n-1}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...