Wednesday 4 December 2019

complex numbers - how to compute $|a-ib|^2$ if given $(a-ib)^3$



If i know that, for example, $(a-ib)^3=5+4i$ - how can i compute the value of $|a-ib|^2$ ?



I can take modulus of $5+4i$ which is $\sqrt{5^2+4^2}$ but i don't know what i'm getting here.




I don't know what's a third root of a complex number here.



Any help?



Thanks.


Answer



We know that $|z\cdot w|=|z|\cdot|w|$, and so in general $|z^n|=|z|^n$.



Therefore, since you know $z^3$, you can take its modulus to get $|z^3|=|z|^3$, and raising that to the $2/3$ power gives $|z|^2$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...