Thursday 12 December 2019

sequences and series - Prove: If $sum a_n$ converges then $sum frac{1}{a_n}$ diverges




Prove: If $\sum a_n$ converges, then $\sum \frac{1}{a_n}$ diverges.




I want to prove this statement. I've been trying to find a way but I couldn't.
let's say $a_n$ converges to $a$ then what should i do? Can i prove it like a sequence. For example $\forall\epsilon >0, \exists N>0 \ if \ n>N \ then \ |a-L|< \epsilon$ . I don't think i can apply this to series.


Answer




If $\sum a_n$ converges, we must have that $\lim\limits_{n\to\infty}a_n=0$ (otherwise it would have been divergent when we checked the limit by the divergence/limit test). Therefore, if we considered $\sum\frac{1}{a_n}$, when we take the limit, we see that $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{a_n}\left[\to\frac{1}{0}\right]\to\infty$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...