Saturday 31 October 2015

algebra precalculus - Find the $n^{th}$ term and the sum to $n$ terms of the following series




Find the $n^{th}$ term and sum to $n$ terms of the following series.
$$1.3+2.4+3.5+……$$



My Attempt:



Here,
$n^{th}$ term of $1+2+3+……=n$



$n^{th}$ term of $3+4+5+……=n+2$




Thus,



$n^{th}$ term of the series $1.3+2.4+3.5+……=n(n+2)$



$$t_n=n^2+2n$$



If $S_n$ be the sum to $n$ terms of the series then
$$S_n=\sum t_n$$
$$=\sum (n^2+2n)$$




How do I proceed?


Answer



\begin{align}\sum_{i=1}^n (i^2+2i) &=\sum_{i=1}^n i^2 + 2\sum_{i=1}^n i\\
&= \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}+2\cdot \frac{n(n+1)}{2} \end{align}



You might want to factorize the terms to simplify things.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...