Wednesday 21 October 2015

number theory - Show that $3p^2=q^2$ implies $3|p$ and $3|q$



This is a problem from "Introduction to Mathematics - Algebra and Number Systems" (specifically, exercise set 2 #9), which is one of my math texts. Please note that this isn't homework, but I would still appreciate hints rather than a complete answer.



The problem reads as follows:




If 3p2 = q2, where $p,q \in \mathbb{Z}$, show that 3 is a common divisor of p and q.





I am able to show that 3 divides q, simply by rearranging for p2 and showing that



$$p^2 \in \mathbb{Z} \Rightarrow q^2/3 \in \mathbb{Z} \Rightarrow 3|q$$



However, I'm not sure how to show that 3 divides p.






Edit:




Moron left a comment below in which I was prompted to apply the solution to this question as a proof of $\sqrt{3}$'s irrationality. Here's what I came up with...



[incorrect solution...]



...is this correct?



Edit:



The correct solution is provided in the comments below by Bill Dubuque.


Answer




Write $q$ as $3r$ and see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...