Tuesday 13 October 2015

abstract algebra - Splitting field that isn't a Galois extension





I'm trying to find a counter-example to following statement: if $K$ is the splitting field of $g\in F[x],$ then the extension $K/F$ is Galois.




I know the statement is true if $g$ is separable, so I need $F$ to be infinite of characteristic $p>0$. My thoughts were something like $K/\mathbb{F}_p(t)$, where $t$ is transcendental over $\mathbb{F}_p$, and $K$ is the splitting field of $g(x)=x^p-t$.



I know that $g$ is irreducible and not separable (it has a repeated root $s\in K$, $g(x)=x^p-t=x^p-s^p=(x-s)^p$), and if I could show that $g$ was the minimal polynomial of $s$ over $\mathbb{F}_p(t)$ then I think I'd be done ($K/F$ is Galois if and only if for every $\alpha\in K$, the minimal polynomial of $\alpha$ over $F$ is separable and $K$ contains its splitting field).



I'm pretty certain that this is the counter-example that I'm looking for, but I'm just struggling to fully prove to myself that it works. I know that the minimal polynomial of $s$ must be $(x-s)^q$ for some $0


Thanks,
Warren


Answer



Hint: it turns out that $\mathbf{F}_p(s)$ is a rational function field as well, and the field extension identifies $\mathbf{F}_p(t)$ with the subfield $\mathbf{F}_p(s^p) \subseteq \mathbf{F}_p(s)$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...