Wednesday 28 October 2015

number theory - Partitioning integers into sets

Try to find out if it is possible to partition 6 consecutive positive integers into two sets, $A_1$ and $A_2$ such that the product of the elements in $A_1$ is equal to the product of the elements in $A_2$?



Also, check if this is possible for 20 consecutive positive integers?



I said:




Let $K=$ positive integer, then we need to partition:



$$K, K+1, K+2, K+3, K+4, K+5 $$



This wasnt helping me so i worked with numbers.



I started out with:



$$ 1,2,3,4,5,6 $$




and i can't seem to partition it.



So i worked with:



$$ 2,3,4,5,6,7 $$



I tried:



$A_1=4,7,3=84$
$A_2=2,5,6=60$




and I tried more cases but trial and error does not seem to be effective. Any strategies or patterns anybody else notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...