Thursday 22 October 2015

proof writing - Question on Induction (Very Simple)

I've just started a course in mathematics at university, and our current topic is mathematical induction.



I've been given the following question:




$$1+4+4^2+....+4^{n-1}=\frac{4^{n}-1}{3}.$$



I get the first step - $P(1) = 1$.



I get the second step - Assume $n = k$.



It's this third step that gets me. I've seen it done a few ways.. but this is what I've got so far:



$$\begin{align} 1+4+4^2+...+4^{k-1}+4^{k} & = [1+4+4^2+...+4^{k-1}] +4^{k} \\ & = \frac{4^{k}-1}{3} + 4^{k} \end{align}$$




I've no idea where to go after this. I'm assuming I want it to look something like:



$$\frac{4^{k+1}-1}{3}.$$



However, no idea how to get there, or if that's even the direction I want to be heading in.



I would appreciated any help. Especially if there's an easier way of doing this.



Cheers. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...