Saturday 18 March 2017

algebra precalculus - Why does $frac{1}{sin x} = 2sin x$?



I'm trying to understand the solution of a trigonometry problem. One of the steps of the solution says that:



$$\frac{\sqrt2}{2} = \sin x$$



And then directly deduces that:




$$\sqrt2 = \frac{1}{\sin x}$$



I wonder how this equivalence works. It looks like they multiply both sides of the equation by 2. When I check with a calculator, $\frac{1}{\sin x}$ is indeed equal to $2 \sin x$ for the value of $x$ used in the exercise, which happens to be $\frac{\pi}{4}$, but it doesn't seem to be the case of other values of $x$. What am I missing here?


Answer



Recall that $2=\sqrt 2\cdot\sqrt 2$ and therefore:



$$\sin x=\frac{\sqrt 2}{2}=\frac{\sqrt 2}{\sqrt 2\cdot\sqrt 2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}$$



Now multiply by $\frac{\sqrt 2}{\sin x}$ both sides and you have as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...