Tuesday 28 March 2017

Prove that if $n$ is not the square of a natural number, then $sqrt{n}$ is irrational.












I have this homework problem that I can't seem to be able to figure out:

Prove: If $n\in\mathbb{N}$ is not the square of some other $m\in\mathbb{N}$, then $\sqrt{n}$ must be irrational.

I know that a number being irrational means that it cannot be written in the form $\displaystyle\frac{a}{b}: a, b\in\mathbb{N}$ $b\neq0$ (in this case, ordinarily it'd be $a\in\mathbb{Z}$, $b\in\mathbb{Z}\setminus\{0\}$) but how would I go about proving this? Would a proof by contradiction work here?



Thanks!!


Answer



Let $n$ be a positive integer such that there is no $m$ such that $n = m^2$. Suppose $\sqrt{n}$ is rational. Then there exists $p$ and $q$ with no common factor (beside 1) such that



$\sqrt{n} = \frac{p}{q}$



Then




$n = \frac{p^2}{q^2}$.



However, $n$ is an positive integer and $p$ and $q$ have no common factors beside $1$. So $q = 1$. This gives that



$n = p^2$



Contradiction since it was assumed that $n \neq m^2$ for any $m$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...