This was the difficult question on last year's first year differential calculus exam. I thought I was pretty good with limits, but am stumped with this one. I tried multiple ways: first, I used the natural log to pull down the exponent so it became form infinity over infinity, meaning I could use L'Hospital's Rule. The final form, however, was not really helpful for sketching purposes.
After, I tried to use the definition of the derivative, setting t equal to 1/n so the limit would go to zero instead. This, too, yielded a form that was no better than the former; I could not ascertain what x is. I have not yet learned power series or any other such methods; just differentiation.
This is also my first time attempting to use LaTeX, so I'm very sorry if it doesn't come out right. I'll post a picture for backup. 
\lim_{n\to \infty} (1+x^(n-1)+x^n)^(1/2)}
Tuesday, 21 March 2017
calculus - How can you sketch this limit as n approaches infinity?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
How can one proof the equality $$\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{k^v}{v!}=\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{v^v (k-v)^{k-v}}{v!(k-v)!}$$ for $k\in\mathbb{...
-
If you think about the limit definition of the derivative, $dy$ represents $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\dfrac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$, and $dx...
-
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
No comments:
Post a Comment