Tuesday 14 March 2017

real analysis - Prove that $f'(a)=lim_{xrightarrow a}f'(x)$.

Let $f$ be a real-valued function continuous on $[a,b]$ and differentiable on $(a,b)$.
Suppose that $\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f'(x)$ exists.
Then, prove that $f$ is differentiable at $a$ and $f'(a)=\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f'(x)$.



It seems like an easy example, but a little bit tricky.
I'm not sure which theorems should be used in here.




==============================================================



Using @David Mitra's advice and @Pete L. Clark's notes
I tried to solve this proof.
I want to know my proof is correct or not.



By MVT, for $h>0$ and $c_h \in (a,a+h)$
$$\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}=f'(c_h)$$
and $\lim_{h \rightarrow 0^+}c_h=a$.



Then $$\lim_{h \rightarrow 0^+}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0^+}f'(c_h)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0^+}f'(a)$$




But that's enough? I think I should show something more, but don't know what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...