Wednesday 29 March 2017

calculus - Prove $sum_{n=2}^{infty}lnleft(1+frac{(-1)^n}{n^p}right)$ converges if and only if $p>frac 12$



I am trying to prove that the following sequence converges:
$$\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\ln\left(1+\frac{(-1)^n}{n^p}\right)$$

if and only if $p>\frac 12$.



I've seen solutions to this exact problem here, but I am not looking for a general solution. I've tried to solve this problem, and could not continue my solution, so I came here to ask for your help on how to continue.



My solution



$(\star)$ I have proven that given a sequence $a_n$, such that $\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n=0$, if: $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(a_{2n}+a_{2n+1})$ converges or diverges to infinity, then $\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}a_n$ converges or diverges to infinity, respectively.



I have also proven that $\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\ln\left(1+\frac{(-1)^n}{n^p}\right)$ converges absolutely for every $p>1$, converges for $p=1$, and diverges for $p=\frac 12$. So what I have left, essentially, is to prove that the series converges for every $\frac 12




We can see that:



$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(a_{2n}+a_{2n+1})\equiv\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\ln(1+\frac{1}{(2n)^p})+\ln(1-\frac{1}{(2n+1)^p})\right)$$



Since the sequence is negative, we can use the limit test with (after using logarithm rules):



$$\frac{(2n)^p-(2n+1)^p+1}{(4n^2+2n)^p}$$



Now, on the one hand, I don't have the logarithm anymore; But on the other hand, I don't know how to deal with this series. I tried to use the limit test again with $\frac{1}{n^{2p}}$, but to no avail.




I would be very glad to hear how to continue my solution, or rather simplify it. I prefer using the claim I've proven (marked with $(\star)$).



Thank you very much!


Answer



Your limit test can be made to work.
$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\frac{(2x)^p-(2x+1)^p+1}{(4x^2+2x)^p}}{\frac{1}{x^{2p}}}=\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(2x)^p-(2x+1)^p+1}{(4+\frac{2}{x})^p}=\frac{1}{4^p}
$$

Here I used the fact that $\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}((2x+1)^p-(2x)^p)=0$. You can quickly prove this by noting that $f:x\rightarrow x^p$ is a concave function for $p<1$ ($f''<0$), so you can say that $(2x+1)^p-(2x)^p < 2p(2x)^{p-1}$. But $p-1<0$, so this last expression goes to $0$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...