Thursday 23 March 2017

induction - Inductive proof of the degree of a polynomial

Here is the problem:



Assume that there is a polynomial $P(x)$ of degree 4 such that for all $N \in \mathbb{N}$,




$$P(N) = \sum\limits_{n=0}^N n^3$$



Find the polynomial. Use induction to prove that the formula is correct.



...............



Not sure where to start on this, but for the base case, I did $n=0$ results in $0^3=0$. How can I prove this has degree $4$, since $0^5=0$, for example? Also, how can I prove it for N in the inductive step?



Also... before I even get there, I'm puzzled about the polynomial. I know it's something like:




$$ax^4+bx^3+cx^2+dx+e = x^3 + (x-1)^3 + (x-2)^3 + \cdots + 1$$



and you get an $x^4$ term on the RHS because you have $x$ number of times $x^3$, but I don't know where to go from there to find the polynomial.



Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...