Wednesday 29 March 2017

calculus - Starting index for geometric series test



I was just wondering if the geometric series test for series of the form $\sum_{n=}^{\infty}ar^{n}$ needs the index to start at $0$ or $1$? From my understanding of the proof using partial sums, calculating the convergent value as $\frac{a}{1-r}$ requires the series to start at $0$. I ask because I've been seeing a lot of post and even my assignment solutions neglecting whether it starts at $1$ or $0$. If my assignment assumes I do not know how to change indices when it starts at $n=1$, and this happens to not be negligible, how do I go around using the geometric series test and calculating the convergent value?


Answer



Recall that for the geometric series



$$\ S_n = \sum_{j=0}^n ar^j = \frac{ar^{n+1}-a}{r-1}\implies \quad |r|<1\quad S_{\infty}=\frac{a}{1-r}
$$



then if we start from $n=1$




$$\ S_n = \sum_{j=1}^n ar^j = \frac{ar^{n+1}-a}{r-1}-a\implies \quad |r|<1\quad S_{\infty}=\frac{a}{1-r}-a$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...