Tuesday 28 March 2017

probability dice experiment

I am currently taking a probability course and I am stuck on a supposedly easy discrete probability question here:



Problem: Consider the experiment of rolling a fair die independently until the same number/face occurs 2 successive times and let $X$ be the trial on which the repeat occurs, e.g. if the rolls are $2,3,4,5,1,2,4,5,5$, then $X=9$.



a. find the probability function $f(x) = P(X=x)$




b. compute EX



Attempt at a solution: I know $X$ is discrete probability distribution, and that we are dealing with independent events. However, $X$ can be anything, up to infinity, or it may never happen where there are two successive values. Here's what I got:



obviously, the answer is a geometric distribution as the answer is:



$P(X=x) = f(x) = (5/6)^(x-1) * (1/6)$ for $x = 0,1,2,3,...$ and $0$ otherwise but I'm stuck here. please help

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...