Thursday 26 September 2013

abstract algebra - Let $K$ and $L$ be extensions of $F$. Show that $KL$ is Galois over $F$ if both $K$ and $L$ are Galois over $F$. Is the converse true?



Let $K$ and $L$ be extensions of $F$. Show that $KL$ is Galois over $F$ if
both $K$ and $L$ are Galois over $F$. Is the converse true?




I should show $|Gal(KL/F)|=[KL:F]$ and for this I am using $|Gal(K/F)|=[K:F], |Gal(L/F)|=[L:F] $ and $[KL:F]\leq[K:F][L:F]$, and I get to the next but I do not know what else to do, could someone help me please? Is there a counterexample to the converse? Thank you in advance.


Answer



To prove that the converse is not true, consider the extension $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2},\zeta_{3})$ which is a Galois extension of $\mathbb{Q}$, but $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})$ is not! (Edit: Take $K=\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{2})$ and $L=\mathbb{Q}(\zeta_{3})$ and $\mathbb{F}=\mathbb{Q})$ As for the direct statement, we might use splitting fields.
Now, if we want to use splitting fields, if $K$ is a splitting field over $F$ for $f(x)$ and $L$ is a splitting field of $g(x)$ over $F$, then $KL$ is a splitting field of...


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...