Friday 27 September 2013

linear algebra - Are there matrices such that $AB=I$ and $BA neq I$





Are there matrices such that $AB=I$ and $BA \neq I$ ?



$A$ and $B$ are square matrices


Answer



With square matrices, no. With non-square matrices, it's perfectly possible. For example,
\begin{align*}
A &= \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{array}\right) \\
B &= \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right)
\end{align*}
Note that, indeed, we cannot have non-square matrices where $AB$ and $BA$ are identities of appropriate dimensions, because that would imply the existence of an isomorphism between spaces of different dimensions!



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...