Sunday 29 September 2013

Proof convergence of series



I'm trying to proof the convergence of the series



$\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} \exp\left(- \dfrac{n^k}{\log(n)} \right)$




where $0 < k < \frac{1}{2}$ is a positive constant.



I tried to use the ratio test, but it was inconclusive. I think I can show the convergence using the comparision test, but I can't seem to find a convergent majorant.



Does anyone know a convergent majorant or another method to show the convergence? ;) Thanks in advance!


Answer



As a first step, note that $n^k/\log n = \Omega(n^{k/2})$, and so the summand is $\exp - \Omega(n^{k/2})$ (here $k/2$ is an arbitrary number in $(0,k)$). Second, $e^{-x} = O(1/x^t)$ for any $t>0$. In particular, choosing $t = 4/k$ (or any other $t > 2/k$), we get that the summand is $O(1/n^2)$. Since $\sum_{n=1}^\infty 1/n^2$ converges, so does your series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...