Monday 16 September 2013

calculus - Mysterious limit of a function



this is driving me crazy. I need to solve this:



enter image description here



Here's the riddle: Since it's (0/0), I do L'Hôpital's rule, which means I get to:



enter image description here




But the limit of this = 0 (after one more use of L'Hôpital's rule). And that is not the correct answer.



HOWEVER, if I just do the derivative of the integral, but LEAVE the denominator as is, then I get this:



enter image description here



And after some more use of L'Hôpital's rule, this actually comes out to be (-5) - which is supposed to be the correct answer.



So I don't understand why when I use L'Hôpital's rule on the numerator alone - it works, but if I use it on both numerator and denominator (which is how you're supposed to..) - it doesn't.




Would appreciate the solution of this "mystery" :)


Answer




this actually comes out to be (-5) - which is supposed to be the correct answer.




It isn't.



If we Taylor-expand the integrand, we get




$$\int_0^x \frac{e^{-5t^2}-1}{t}\,dt = \int_0^x \frac{-5t^2 + O(t^4)}{t}\,dt = \int_0^x -5t + O(t^3)\,dt = -\frac{5}{2}x^2 + O(x^4).$$



The denominator is



$$\sqrt{1+2x}-1 = \left(1+x - \frac{x^2}{2} + O(x^3)\right) - 1 = x + O(x^2),$$



so the limit is indeed $0$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...