Wednesday 25 September 2013

proof verification - How to prove that $n sqrt{17}$ is irrational?

Prove that $ \sqrt{17}$ is irrational. Subsequently, prove that $n \sqrt{17}$ is irrational too, for any natural number $n \neq 0$. Use the following lemma: Let p be a prime number; if $p | a^2$ then $p | a$ as well. I proved by contradiction that $\sqrt{17}$ is irrational, but I'm not sure how to prove that $n \sqrt{17}$ is irrational. I tried to prove it by contradiction as well, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do. Is it easier to prove with induction?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...