Tuesday 17 September 2013

notation - Is there a standard shorthand for the set ${0, 1, dots,k-1,k+1,dots,n-1,n}$?



The question title pretty much says it all.



In derivations where there's some fancy footwork being done with indices, I find expressions like



$$\sum_{i \neq k} x_i$$



a bit too vague. On the other hand, this is explicit enough, but just too unwieldy and awkward-looking:




$$\sum_{i \in \{0, 1, \dots,k-1,k+1,\dots,n-1,n\}} x_i$$



(Of course, I can invent my own notation, but I consider this the "the nuclear option.")


Answer



I've seen $\{0,\dots,\hat{k},\dots,n\}$, but that's not much shorter.



Alternatively, $[n]$ is often shorthand for $\{1,\dots, n\}$, so you could use $[n]\setminus\{k\}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...