Thursday 12 September 2013

sequences and series - Find the limit $limlimits_{n to infty}frac{2^{-n^2}}{sumlimits_{k=n+1}^{infty} 2^{-k^2}}$




Find the limit of the following-$$\lim\limits_{n \to \infty}\frac{2^{-n^2}}{\sum\limits_{k=n+1}^{\infty} 2^{-k^2}}$$




My work:




We can see that the denominator is in geometric series, whose sum is $1$. So taking the limit we get $\infty?$ Am I right? But I think there is a problem in this reasoning as the powers are not starting from $0$ or $1$. Can we really consider a geometric series? Any help would be great. Thanks


Answer



Hint : Multiply denominator and numerator with $$2^{n^2}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...