Thursday 26 September 2013

elementary number theory - Proof: Given that $x$ is a positive integer, prove...

Given that x is a positive integer, prove that $f(x) = x^2 + x + 1$ will never be divisible by $5$.



I've tried a contrapostive proof so far:
Assume $f(x)$ is divisible by $5$. Then, $x^2 + x + 1 = 5p$ for some integer $p$.



$x(x+1) + 1 = 5p$



Since $x(x+1)$ has to be even because an even number times an odd number if even, $x(x+1)$ is odd. Thus, p is odd (the product of 5 and an odd number is an odd number). Thus:




$x(x+1) + 1 = 5(2n+1)$ for some integer $n$.



$x^2 + x - (10n+4) = 0$.



I need to show that x is NOT an integer, but I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Help?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...