Friday 13 September 2013

summation - (Taylor's theorem) Proving that $sin(x) = sumlimits_{n=0}^{infty}dfrac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}$



I'm starting a class on Advanced Mathematics I next semester and I found a sheet of the class'es 2012 final exams, so I'm slowly trying to solve the exercises in it or find the general layout. I will be posting a lot of questions with the exercises I find challenging, and I would like to ask for any help or methodologies that will make it easier for me to solve.



I understand the whole ordeal is categorized as "homework", but any assistance would be appreciated, as I'm completely clueless and I would like to be prepared.



The following exercise is $Ex. 10$, graded for $10\%$.





Define Taylor's Theorem and prove that $\sin(x) = \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}$.




From the class'es page, I've got the definition of Taylor's theorem along with the following equation that resembles a Sum:



$$f(x)=f(x_0)+\frac{f'(x_0)}{1!}(x-x_0)+\frac{f''(x_0)}{2!}(x-x_0)^2+\frac{f'''(x_0)}{3!}(x-x_0)^3+\cdots+\frac{f^{(n)}(x_0)}{n!}(x-x_0)^n+\frac{f^{(n+1)}(x_0)}{(n+1)!}(x-x_0)^{n+1}$$



Apart from the similarity, I do not know how to continue. Do I take the second part of the equation and try to find a closed type that leads to sin(x)?


Answer




Notice that



$$f(x) = sin x \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ f(0)= 0\\ f'(x) = cos x \ \ \ \ \ \ f'(0)=1 \\ f''(x) = -sinx \ \ f''(0)=0 \\ f'''(x) = -cosx \ \ f'''(0) = -1 \\ f^{(4)}(x)=sinx \ \ \ f(0)=0 $$



The derivatives repeat in a cycle of four, from Taylor series definition we have that $$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{f^{(n)}(a)(x-a)^{n}}{n!}$$ Take $a=0$ and the result follows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...