Wednesday 25 September 2013

reference request - L'Hôpital's full name

I think we've all heard of L'Hôpital's rule when solving limits of the form $\frac{0}{0}$ or $\frac{\infty}{\infty}$ (for those doing calculus or real analysis at a higher level) but the other day my lecturer went through some interesting facts and background about l'Hôpital (other common names: Guillaume de l'Hôpital or Guillaume François Antoine, Marquis de l'Hôpital).




I went to Google on his full name (since everyone said that that was the shortened version) and the closest that I got to was "Guillaume-François-Antoine Marquis de l'Hôpital, Marquis de Sainte-Mesme, Comte d'Entremont and Seigneur d'Ouques-la-Chaise", even still they mentioned that his name was longer.



So, what was his full name? (I couldn't find any from my searches on Google)



(I was thinking about this while taking a break from my real analysis tutorials :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...