Monday 23 September 2013

calculus - No complex roots of a polynomial implies its derivative has no complex roots



It's a well known result that if a degree $n \geq 2$ polynomial $P(x)$ with real coefficients has $n$ distinct real roots, then its derivative $P'(x)$ will have $n-1$ distinct real roots. This is a consequence of Rolle's Theorem.



I would like to know if the following statement true:



If a degree $n \geq 2$ polynomial $P(x)$ with real coefficients has $n$ real roots (not necessarily distinct), may consist of multiplicities $>1$), then $P'(x)$ will have $n-1$ real roots (not necessarily distinct).




I've spent a while looking for a proof or a counterexample to this online but had no luck in doing so. I've also tried working out a proof for myself but ran into trouble when considering multiplicities of roots greater than one.


Answer



This follows by Rolle's theorem by essentially the same argument. Let $a_1

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...