Wednesday 16 April 2014

algebra precalculus - Prove $e^{i pi} = -1$












I recently heard that $e^{i \pi} = -1$.



WolframAlpha confirmed this for me, however, I don't see how this works.


Answer



This identity follows from Euler's Theorem,
\begin{align}
e^{i \theta} = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta,
\end{align}
which has many proofs. The one that I like the most is the following (sketched). Define $f(\theta) = e^{-i \theta}(\cos \theta + i \sin \theta)$. Use the quotient rule to show that $f^{\prime}(\theta)= 0$, so $f(\theta)$ is constant in $\theta$. Evaluate $f(0)$ to prove that $f(\theta) = f(0)$ everywhere.




Take $\theta = \pi$ for your claim.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...