Monday 21 April 2014

elementary number theory - Base system and divisibility

I have seen the following one. Please give the proof of the observation.
We know that, The difference between the sum of the odd numbered digits (1st, 3rd, 5th...) and the sum of the even numbered digits (2nd, 4th...) is divisible by 11. I have checked the same for other numbers in different base system. For example, if we want to know 27 is divisible by 3 or not.
To check the divisibility for 3, take 1 lees than 3 (i.e., 2) and follow as shown bellow
now 27 = 2 X 13 + 1 and then
13 = 2 X 6 + 1 and then
6 = 2 X 3 + 0 and then

3 = 2 X 1 + 1 and then
1 = 2 X 0 + 1
Now the remainders in base system is
27 = 11011
sum of altranative digits and their diffrence is ( 1 + 0 + 1) - (1 + 1) = 0
So, 27 is divisible by 3.
What I want to say that, to check the divisibility of a number K, we will write the number in K-1 base system and then we apply the 11 divisibility rule. How this method is working.Please give me the proof. Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...