Wednesday 23 April 2014

complex analysis - Entire function real and imaginary part product




Let $f$ be an entire function such that $\Re(f(z))*\Im(f(z))\ge0$ for all $z$ then $f$ is constant. Prove or give contradicting example.
I know about Louisville's theorem and Cauchy–Riemann equations but I don't see how to use them in this situation. I've tried to bound $|f(z)|$ but I could only show that $|f(z)|\le\Re(f(z))+\Im(f(z))$. I would like a hint.


Answer



Write $f(z) = u(z) + iv(z)$, so that $u=\Re(f)$ and $v = \Im(f)$. The trick to many of these problems is to find a suitable auxiliary function: as Daniel Fischer mentioned, a good candidate would be a function whose real or imaginary part is $uv$. How about $g(z) = f(z)^2 = u(z)^2-v(z)^2 + 2i\,u(z)v(z)$? By hypothesis, $\Im(g(z))\geq 0$ for all $z$ . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...