Friday 11 April 2014

elementary set theory - Injective and surjective functions in ℕ

Let $f:\mathbb N\to \mathbb N$ be an injective function.



Let $g:\mathbb N\to \mathbb N$ be a surjective function



prove that $f(n)≥g(n)$ for all $n\in \mathbb N$.




this exercise has been puzzling me a long time.
the most reasonable proof would by finding a contradiction, and by proving that surjective functions from $\mathbb N\to \mathbb N$ Would have to either be an identity function or a function that assigns different values to even and odd numbers ( I could be wrong)
I tried playing a bit with the properties of injective and surgective functions since an injective function in N would have to be strictly increasing.
p.s : I'm still a highschooler so I'm fairly ignorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...