Wednesday 30 April 2014

Binomial coefficient as a summation series proof?




Alright, so I was wondering if the following is a well known identity or if its existence provides any real benefits other than serving as a time-saver when dealing with higher values for combinations.



After screwing around with some basic combinations stuff, I noticed the following:



$$ \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} i = \begin{pmatrix}n\\2\\ \end{pmatrix}$$



To prove this, I used Gauss' method to simplify the summation, and I wrote n choose 2 in terms of factorials to simplify the right side.



$$ \frac{ (n-1) n } {2} = \frac{ n! } { (2!) (n-2)! } $$




$$ 2!(n-2)!(n-1)(n) = 2n! $$



$$ 2(n-2)!(n-1)(n) = 2n! $$



$$ (n-2)!(n-1)(n) = n! $$



$$ n! = n! $$



I did this on lunch break one day over the summer. I'm in high school, so my math skills are very subpar on this forum, but I was hoping some people might discuss it and/or answer my aforementioned questions. I didn't see anything about it on here or Google, for that matter. If you found this banal or rudimentary, just let me know and I'll refrain from posting until I come up with something more interesting. Regardless, I hope you found it worth your time.


Answer





I was wondering if the following is a well known identity




Not only is it well-known, but it's part of a much larger group. In general, we have




$$\sum_{k=0}^nk~(k+1)~\cdots~(k+p)~=~(p+1)!~{n+p+1\choose n-1}~=~(p+1)!~{n+p+1\choose p+2}$$





The whole idea is to rewrite the summand as $(p+1)!~\displaystyle{p+k\choose p+1}.~$ See also Faulhaber's formulas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...