Tuesday 29 April 2014

sequences and series - How to find the square root of $sqrt{20+sqrt{20+sqrt{20 + cdots}}}$



Generally, I know how to calculate the sq roots or cube roots, but I am confused in this question, don't know how to do this:



$$\sqrt{20+\sqrt{20+\sqrt{20 + \cdots}}}$$



Note: Answer given in the key book is $5$.

Not allowed to use calculator.


Answer



HINT:



Let $\displaystyle S=\sqrt{20+\sqrt{20+\sqrt{20+\cdots}}}$ which is definitely $>0$



$\displaystyle\implies S^2=20+S\iff S^2-S-20=0$



But we need to show the convergence of the sum


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...