Friday 18 April 2014

calculus - Integration by Euler's formula




How do you integrate the following by using Euler's formula, without using integration by parts? $$I=\displaystyle\int \dfrac{3+4\cos {\theta}}{(3\cos {\theta}+4)^2}d\theta$$



I did integrate it by parts, by writing the $3$ in the numerator as $3\sin^2 {\theta}+3\cos^2{\theta}$, and then splitting the numerator.



But can it be solved by using complex numbers and the Euler's formula?


Answer



Hint



When you have an expression with a squared denominator, you could think that the solution is of the form $$I=\displaystyle\int \dfrac{3+4\cos {\theta}}{(3\cos {\theta}+4)^2}~d\theta=\frac{a+b\sin \theta+c\cos \theta}{3\cos {\theta}+4}$$ Differentiate the rhs and identify terms. You will get very simple results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...